The look captured the imagination of the nation. The name represented luxury, glamour, and mobility. Streamliners epitomized a new world of modern living, symbolizing style and technical evolution in the ongoing fulfillment of the American Dream.
Pentrex is proud to present this comprehensive tribute to the streamliners of the Union Pacific, utilizing material from the archives of the Union Pacific Historical Society, much of which has never before been seen. Three years in the making, this production offers a detailed look at the development and evolution of Union Pacific passenger trains from 1934 to 1971. UP's streamliners spring to life with fantastic images:
- America's first streamlined train, UP's M-10000, including rare color footage.
- Steam turbine electrics 1 & 2 in Omaha at the 1939 premiere of the movie Union Pacific.
- The General Motors Train of Tomorrow, introducing Astra Domes in 1947.
- The ribbon-cutting ceremony and inaugural run of the Aerotrain City of Las Vegas, shown inside and out and at its arrival in Las Vegas in 1956, with Liberace in the cab.
- A 1959 scene with the entire crew of 35 employees lined up outside the City of Los Angeles to demonstrate the luxury of service provided aboard UP streamliners.
- Dozens and dozens of run-bys at classic UP locations such as Echo Canyon, Sherman Hill, Cajon Pass, Puget Sound, and even aerial footage.
- CTC board operations, maintenance-of-way track repair, and a tour of the back shops.
- The last City of Los Angeles to depart L.A. Union Passenger Terminal in 1971 and the last UP passenger train to pull into L.A. from Chicago, seen trackside and from aboard the train.
Motive power includes EMD E-3s through E-9s and F-3s, Alco PAs and FAs, Fairbanks-Morse Erie-builts, steam turbine electrics, and more. Interior shots include club cars, lounges, dome coaches, dome diners, sleeping cars, and others. The list goes on and on! This exciting production will show you the UP streamliner era as it's never been seen before!
See photos captured from the actual program in our Photo Gallery
.DVD Special Features:
2 Hours 7 Minutes
- Bonus footage: Over 17 minutes of UP television commercials from the 1950s and 1960s, plus a 10 minute railroad safety film from the 1940s featuring UP streamliners in color, are included on the same DVD!
- Two stereo soundtracks, one with the natural train sounds, the other with narration added. The viewer can switch the narration on or off at any time. (This feature is not available on the bonus footage.)
- Chapter Menu provides instant access to program segments.
Color and Black & White with Appropriate Stereo Sound and Narration
Full-screen (4x3) Format
No region code; can be played in NTSC DVD players worldwide
Packaged in Sturdy Vinyl Clamshell Case
Produced by Pentrex 2003